But even if your story is taking an unexpected turn, you get to write the next chapter. What you do with the unforeseen events is yours to decide.
But what choices do you have? First, let’s look at what is legal in Tennessee.
What is Legal?
For now, limited abortion is still legal. But only for a short time.
Directly after the Supreme Court ruling, Tennessee passed an emergency bill to ban abortions after a fetal heartbeat was detected at 6 or 8 weeks.
But this law will be replaced in mid-August by Tennessee’s Human Life Protection Act, which was established in 2019 and requires a 30 day delay (after Roe v. Wade is overturned) before it goes into effect.
The trigger law will ban all abortions starting right at conception, the fertilization of an egg.
What Can You Do?
- Get an ultrasound. Before you make any decisions about your pregnancy it is important to get an ultrasound. This will not only confirm the viability of your pregnancy and gestational age of the baby, but it will also detect any complications in your health.It is also required by state law that you receive an ultrasound before you have an abortion.Limited access to abortion does not mean you have limited access to good or affordable healthcare for your pregnancy. At our center we offer free and confidential ultrasound referrals, and would be happy to help you take this necessary next step.
- Ask questions. The choices you will need to make regarding your unplanned pregnancy can be overwhelming. Remember, knowledge is power. Taking time to ask questions will empower you to make an informed decision. You might consider some of these questions:
- What are the health risks to an abortion?
- What resources are available to help me continue my pregnancy?
- If I decide to parent my child, where can I find parenting education?
- Where can I learn more about adoption?
Our caring and knowledgeable staff can help answer these questions and more, to help you make a confident decision for your pregnancy. Please call us today for a confidential and free appointment.
NOTE: We offer accurate information about all your pregnancy options; however, we do not offer or refer for abortion services. The information presented on this website is intended for general education purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for legal, professional, and/or medical advice.